Weather advisory: Safety first
In light of the weather warnings for the days ahead, Insurance Ireland has advised policyholders on steps to take to minimise the risk of damage from high winds, as well as advice for motorists to heed the warnings during severe weather events.
Home & motor:
- In advance of forecast high winds, people should check for any loose roof tiles and tidy away or tie down any loose items in the garden which could be blown around by gusts.
- In advance of the storm, it’s helpful to clean out gutters and check that any drainage systems aren’t blocked with leaves.
- Insurance Ireland advises motorists to heed the weather warnings in place from the authorities and take all reasonable precautions.
In the event of storm damage to a property, Insurance Ireland has the following advice for householders:
- Household buildings and contents insurance policies cover damage caused by storms.
- Damage to cars is covered by comprehensive motor insurance policies.
- Insurers will usually pay for the cost of temporary repairs, so please keep receipts.
- Insurers will also usually pay for the cost of alternative accommodation, up to policy limits, if the home becomes uninhabitable.
- Householders should check the full extent of their policies and contact their insurer or broker for further advice if needed.
For home insurance, the following are the contact details for Insurance Ireland member companies:
INSURANCE IRELAND MEMBER COMPANY HELPLINES
AIG 01 8599700
ALLIANZ 01 613 3990
AVIVA 1890 666 888
AXA 1890 247 365
FBD 01 7617 617
LIBERTY 1850 858 530
RSA 01 290 1999
ZURICH 1890 208 408
If something goes wrong in your home for which you have insurance cover, the above are contact numbers for insurance companies that provide household cover. Opening hours may vary.
Tel: 01 644 7781 / 087 9383852
Q4 Public Relations
Tel: 01 475 1444 / 085 174 4275
Storm Damage - Important Notice From Insurance Ireland
Format: PDF File Size: 442.08kB