As my time at Insurance Ireland comes to a close
As my time at Insurance Ireland comes to a close... by Izzy Carron, Intern
I started at the end of May, upon my return to Ireland from the United States where I attend College. I interned here last Summer too, so when I arrived on my first day back, I was welcomed with open arms from familiar faces.
These are just some of the activities I participated in during my time here:
● I attended numerous really interesting II member events, such as the II-Deloitte Strategic Alliance Partners Talent luncheon for CEOs and INEDs, the II-AXA Investment Managers event at Mediolanum and the University of North Carolina, Charlotte weeklong programme with II, our members, the Department of Finance and the Central Bank
● I created a contact database for Florian Wimber, our Head of European Affairs and International Insurance in Brussels
● I provided II with suggestions on how to be greener and more sustainable for meetings and events
● I registered speakers and guests to the flagship European Insurance Forum
● I created impactful powerpoint presentations for team activities, including an Industry Advisory Committee Meeting related to II’s IFS2025 remit
● I researched software to help design better Board and Council packs
● I gave my insights to the third level Financial Inclusion project II are about to embark on with the University of Limerick
The biggest project which I was involved in, and the highlight of my time here, was helping to host a group of Finance Risk students from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, during their time in Dublin. We were also joined by eight Scor Interns who attend College in UCD and Queen's University. These students and some of their professors were with us for four days. Natalie Moran of the Membership Services Team and myself were responsible in accompanying them in all of the activities they had on their itinerary. This itinerary included going to many companies around Dublin to gain insight into who they are, and what they do, within the Irish Insurance Industry.We visited Accenture, Irish Life Group, The Central Bank of Ireland, Scor, the Department of Finance, Greenlight Re, AXA and Willis Towers Watson. This week provided me with so much insight and knowledge about the sector and all of these companies who work in it. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to go to all of these firms, places I most likely would have never had the chance to go to if it weren’t for this work placement. I really enjoyed getting to know the students and professors and I hope that they enjoyed their time in Dublin as much as we enjoyed having them.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Insurance Ireland. I learned a great deal about communication which is my area of interest and have gained invaluable experience working in this area. I think this experience will be crucial in completing my degree at NC State and transitioning into the professional workforce. I cannot thank Kevin Thompson (CEO) enough for giving me this opportunity to intern here, and Laura Farrell for guiding me through the internship and providing me with ongoing encouragement and support. I want to also give a special mention to Lynne Kelly, Natalie Moran, Frank Farrell and West Thornton for making me feel very included and welcomed during my time here. It has been a great six weeks and I look forward to getting back to my studies and seeing what the future holds!